Indian Geography | Indian Topology
- India is the 7th largest country in the world with an area of 3287263 sq km, which is 2.42% of world’s area.
- India is the second most populous country in the world with a population of 1.21 billion (2011), which is 17.44% of the world’s population.
- Indian sub-continent is located in the Northern and Eastern hemisphere.
- India shares longest boundary with Bangladesh (4096 km), followed by China (3488 km), Pakistan (3323 km), Nepal (1751 km), Myanmar (1643 km), Bhutan (699 km) and Afghanistan (106 km).
- In India, the Tropic of Cancer (23°5 N latitude) passes through 8 States (Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chattishgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura and Mizoram).
- Islands Andaman and Nicobar Island group in the Bay of Bengal: Lakshadweep, island group in the Arabian Sea.
- Indian Standard Time (IST) The 82°30’E longitude is taken as the Standard Meridian of India, as it passes through middle of India (from Naini, near Allahabad).
- The 82°30’E Meridian also decided the time in Sri Lanka and Nepal.
- On the South-East, the Gulf of Mannar and the palk Strait seperates India from Sri Lanka.
INDIAN GEOGRAPHY: Basic Information
|Latitudinal extent||8°64′ North to 37^6′ North|
|Longitudinal extent||68°7′ East to 97^25′ East|
|North-South extent||3214 km|
|East-West extent||2933 km|
|Land Frontiers||15200 km|
|Total Coastline||7516.6 km|
|Number of States||28|
|Number of Union Territories||8|
|Land Neighbours-7||Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Bhutan|
|States with Longest Coastline||Gujarat|
|Active Volcano||Barren Island in Andaman and Nicobar Islands|
|Southernmost point||Indira Point or Pygmalion point in Great Nicobar|
|Southernmost most tip of mainland||Kanyakumari|
|Northernmost point||Indira Col|
|Westernmost point||West of Guhar Mota in Gujarat|
|Easternmost point||Kibithu in Arunachal Pradesh|
Indian States Situated on the Border
|Country(no.)||The Indian States Sharing their Borders|
|Pakistan(5)||Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Ladakh, and Jammu & Kashmir|
|China(5)||Ladakh, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, and Arunachal Pradesh|
|Nepal(5)||Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Bihar, West Bengal, Sikkim|
|Bangladesh(5)||West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram|
|Bhutan(4)||Sikkim, West Bengal, Assam, and Arunachal Pradesh|
Do practice sheets for Logical Reasoning: SYLLOGISM Practice Questions with solutions | Blood Relation | Consanguinity: Solved Examples with Diagram
What is the latitudinal extent of India?
The latitudinal extent of India is 8°64′ North to 37^6′ North.
What is the longitudinal extent of India?
The longitudinal extent of India is 68°7′ East to 97^25′ East.
What is the Southernmost point of India?
Indira Point or Pygmalion point in Great Nicobar
Which Indian States share their borders with Pakistan?
Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Ladakh, and Jammu & Kashmir share their borders with Pakistan.
Which Indian States share their borders with Bangladesh?
West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram share their borders with Bangladesh.